Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ideas for the Classroom: Alphabet Game

Many of my first grade intervention kiddos need help with letter naming and letter sounds.  For a fun way to help them master these skills I made "The Alphabet Game," which is extremely customizable for whatever your kiddos needs are.

Here is the basic set up:



To make the board, I out a squiggly pattern from two pieces of paper and then printed off letters from my computer and glued them on.  I added a title, laminated the whole thing, and viola!  I also added a "score card."



This score card lets students write down the letters they land on.  Students can each have their own score card as they play, and can review the letters they landed on after the game is over.  I also have them review the letters they didn't land on as well.  This way all letters are practiced.

Want students to practice letter sounds?  Give those directions, model a turn or two of saying the letter sound after landing on the letter, and recording each letter on a score card after landing on it.

Want students to practice letter naming?  Give those directions, model a turn or two of saying the letter name after landing on the letter, and recording each letter on a score card after landing on it.

Want them to practice both?  Model saying, "I landed on 'b.'  'B' says /b/."

Since the game board has such a simple layout, it is very easy to modify the directions to suit your kiddos needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...