Saturday, August 9, 2014

You Oughta Know About... These Back to School Ideas!



It's that time of year again! Back to School!

For me Back to School time is both exciting and nerve-racking: there are so many fun ideas to try, but there is so much work to do.  Here are a few ideas that I've collected from around the web, that will hopefully make this year a little smoother and easier, so we can focus on the fun with our students and less on the other craziness that comes with teaching:

Organization & Management:

Have computer cords everywhere?  Need quick access to a USB cord, charger, or other cord?  Try this fun idea:


LEGO Cord Holders


Don't have enough space?  Need a little extra room for papers, markers, etc.?  Try some hanging baskets:


From The Kindergarten Smorgasboard


Have kids who just can't sit still in their seat?  I know I do!  I love these wiggle seats.  It's kind of like sitting on a small exercise ball.  Students need to focus to keep their bottom in the seat rather than squirming out of it.  I've seen wonders for a child's ability to focus his mind on a task while his body is focused on one of these:


Wiggle Seats (You can order them from many places, this is just one site.)


Words to Keep in Mind:

This is one of my favorite sayings in class.  It really helps put things in perspective for students.


Mistakes


Another great saying, especially for older students who will understand its meaning better:


Respect



I just came across this one, and love it.  I'm planning on keeping it for when testing comes around.  Students always feel like they need to do better than the person next to them.  In reality, they just need to do their best and bloom.  


Competition 


First Day/Week Ideas:

During that first week of school, how many times do you get a "What if" question?  Or how many times do you get asked questions at in opportune times?  Here's a great idea to knock those out:


From Kathy Griffn's Teaching Strategies


Want to know how you can help your students learn and grow this year?  Ask them:


From Confessions of a Teaching Junkie


Team building exercises are always a good way to help build a sense of community and rapport with your class and for students to begin building (or rebuilding after the summer) relationships with each other.


From Te@chThought


Sure the teacher makes a big impact on the class, but there is only one teacher.  There are 20+ (sometimes 30+) other people in the room with you.  Those people, your students, make a huge impact on the classroom too.  Discussing what makes a good student, and hanging a description on the wall is a great reference all year for class-decided expectations:


From Using My Teacher Voice


Do you have a great back to school activities, sayings, or organization ideas?  Share it in the comments section!

Follow on Bloglovin


11 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE those Lego card holders!!! I'm all about being easy and clutter free and this would defiantly help keep everything neat and tangle free!!! This will also give you easy access to the proper cards at all times!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the wiggle seats! Such a great idea to keep students focused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Those little lego guys! I need to share that with my disorganized husband, maybe that will motivate him to clean up his office a little bit :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the sayings you included here! I am going to be adding them to my collection. You can never have enough sayings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! I think I am about to go raid my kid's lego box and get the cord thing set up! Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the Lego idea for cords!!! What a fabulous idea!
    Kelly
    MyFabulousClass

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hanging wall baskets! I am totally going to use this and I can't wait to get going on it. Thank you so much for sharing your back to school strategies!
    Best wishes!
    Jen :)
    TeacherKarma.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for compiling these tips together.
    Trakasha
    Mrs. Paul's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I also find bts to be a bit stressful. I don't like all the introductory stuff, I just want to start "teaching" (I know it's all teaching though). Last year was a tough one, it took a long time to tame the little wild ones. I'm moving up with them this year, so hopefully it will be better. Have a great back to school!

    karen
    Smarticle Particles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...